As you gear up for any holiday travel, we have some tips for making your trip go as smooth as possible. With a little planning and some of our on-the-go tips, you and your family can rest easy knowing your trip this season will be full of holiday cheer.
As you start planning your trip, let us know where you’re going and for how long. You can send us a secure message through online banking or call us at (800) 523-4175 to help us take precautions in case you have fraudulent activity on your account and to prevent your card from being blocked while you’re away. It’s also a good idea to take multiple forms of payment in case of an emergency. Credit and debit cards, checks and cash are all good methods. Depending on where you’re going, you may want to let your credit card company know of your travels so your card won’t be flagged for suspicious transactions. Also, learn about our mobile banking with Apple Pay®, Popmoney and Visa Checkout here.1.2
Here are some more of our travel tips and resources:
Tips for driving:
- Download an app that will make your travel easier. For traffic, try Waze. For navigational help, try Roadtrippers. If you’re going to a new place this season, try CityMaps2Go for downloadable maps that don’t require data or WiFi to view. City apps are a good idea and most have their own or try City Papers to get news and listings.
- Locate all insurance cards and paperwork for your vehicle in case of an emergency.
- Download an app, like GasBuddy, that tells you where to find the cheapest gas.
- Pack meals and snacks.
- Bring activities to occupy the kids in the car. Find some ideas here.
- If you’re staying in a hotel, have your reservation confirmation printed or saved on your phone for easy access.
- Keep your devices ready to use by packing enough car chargers or investing in charge packs.
Tips for flying:
- If you have an iPhone, store all confirmation numbers, boarding passes and important information in your Passbook App.
- Research different airlines for onboard freebies and perks, like free checked bags.
- Download your airline’s mobile app for easy access to flight statuses and mobile check-in.
- Follow your airline on social media for updates on service, daily deals and flight updates.
- Most airlines allow you to check in 24 hours before your flight. Make check in a breeze by having your boarding pass already printed.
- Pack a carry on with an extra set of clothes and toiletries in case of lost luggage.
- Pack activities for the kids and don’t forget headphones for everyone.
- Instead of searching for a wall plug in the airport, invest in a backup battery for your mobile device. Try this Bolt Charger.
- Download any city apps that are available or location-specific apps, like My Disney Experience, to get the most out of your vacation.
As you plan your trip, be sure to budget for the unexpected things like delayed flights, pet boarding costs and last minute gifts. If you’re flying, try shipping your gifts instead of taking them on the plane. Ground shipping can be affordable and helps make packing a snap.
You can also take precautions to ensure your home is protected while you’re away, like programming outside lights to come on at night or having a neighbor collect your mail and check on your house.