As you review this policy, please keep in mind that:
- Our online sites are not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under the age of 13 without parental consent. To learn more about the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), please visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website at https://www.ftc.gov/.
What Information We Collect:
When you visit our site, we collect personal information that you provide, including in our forms, applications, surveys and other online fields. This information may include your name, mailing or email address, telephone number(s), account number(s) and other personal information you may provide. If you have a financial product or service with us for personal, family, or household purposes, we will share and use information we collect from or about you in accordance with our Privacy Notice available on our website.
SouthState and service providers acting on our behalf may also collect non-personal information from your use of our online sites. This information may include your IP address, browser and/or device information, including location information, if enabled on your device, type of operating system you are using, information about the site or advertisement that brought you to our online site, and the parts of our online sites that you visit.
How We Collect Information:
We collect information through various means, including the information you provide directly to us on our online sites, information collected through third parties, as described below, and in an automated fashion, through your browser, cookies, pixel tags, clear gifs, web beacons, flash cookies, and other technologies.
Pixel tags, clear gifs, web beacons and flash cookies are transparent tags that are placed on a website, email or other message and are used to measure the actions of the visitor opening the page that contains the clear gifs and allow us to evaluate the effectiveness of our communications, detect and prevent fraud, and advertise.
SouthState contracts with advertising companies to advertise our products and services on third-party websites and mobile applications. We may use other information we collect as described above to assist these advertising companies in selecting which of our advertisements and offers may appeal to you. Please visit the third-party websites and mobile application for their privacy policies. We may also collect information about you from other online and offline sources, including credit reporting agencies and other third-party sources as permitted by law.
How We Use Information:
The information SouthState collects from and about you is used to increase your service and experience on our online sites. We may use your information:
- To process your requests, transactions, applications and inquiries
- To verify your identity using location-based data
- To allow you to apply for products or services (e.g., to prequalify for a mortgage, open a checking account or other financial product) and evaluate your eligibility for such products or services
- To provide you with updates on your accounts, products and services, such as changes to terms, conditions or policies
- To inform you about important information regarding products or services for which you apply or may be interested in applying for, or in which you are already enrolled
- To monitor website usage and/or performance, improve customer experience on our website, ensure technological compatibility with visitors' computers or other electronic or mobile devices, or to conduct aggregate analyses on usage patterns
- To perform analytics concerning your use of our online services, including the pages and advertisements you view utilizing Google Analytics and/or other third-party tools
- To deliver advertising to you directly or on third-party websites
- To allow you to access your online accounts
- To recognize you when you return to our sites
- For risk control, for fraud detection and prevention, and to increase security of our online services
- To provide you with personalized offers and customize your experience with SouthState
- To comply with applicable legal requirements
How We Share Information:
If you are a SouthState customer, we may share personal information that we collect about you with our service providers, affiliates, joint marketers, and non-affiliates in accordance with our Privacy Notice available on our online site. The Bank’s Privacy Notice does not apply to business or commercial customers.
- Service Providers, Affiliates or Joint Marketers. We may disclose certain personal and non-personal information we collect from your use of our online sites to companies that perform services on our behalf, including those who assist us in processing transactions, preparing and mailing statements, and responding to user inquiries. In addition, we may disclose that information to service providers that perform marketing services for us and to financial institutions with whom we have joint marketing agreements.
- Non-Affiliates. We may disclose information about you to Non-Affiliates as required or permitted by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, respond to inquiries from government authorities or defend legal actions.
Your browser may allow you to choose to not have your activities tracked by adjusting your browser’s cookie settings or permanently using a browser plugin. Note, if you choose to reject cookies, you may not be able to access your accounts online with SouthState. Therefore, if you set your browser options to disallow cookies, you may limit the functionality we can provide when you visit our online sites.
We or our third-party advertising service providers, including network advertising companies, may use certain information about your online activities, such as websites visited and search key words entered, to help determine which of our advertisements may be of interest to you. If you would like more information about how Google uses data through Google Analytics, and how you can set your preferences for how Google advertises to you, please follow the links below. Hotjar’s support site.
We or our third-party service providers may also associate the information that we collect online to recognize you and associate your devices with each other in order to provide you with seamless access and to customize your user experience on our online sites across your devices. If you prefer not to receive targeted advertising based on your use of SouthState sites and products, you can opt out of some network advertising programs that use your information. Many network advertising programs also allow you to manage the interest categories as they apply to your online browsing activities. For information about your choices to opt-out of targeted online advertising click here: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or https://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
Please remember that even if you opt out of targeted advertising, you may still see our advertisements when you are browsing online. However, the advertisements may not be tailored to you and your interests.
How to Protect Your Personal Information:
It is important that you protect your personal information. We will never request personal information, such as social security number, account numbers, PINs, or passwords, by email or phone calls or texts. If you receive an email, call, or text message asking for your personal information that appears to be from SouthState, please contact us at 1-800-277-2175 to report the suspicious activity.
Changes to this Policy