Driving Online Traffic: Increase Visibility and Grow Your Audience
Try focusing on these steps to help drive qualified traffic to your website:
Get to the Top of Search EnginesImplementing proper search engine optimization (SEO) tactics can help you increase the chance a customer finds your business when they are searching. Practice including relevant keywords to your content, answering frequently asked questions from your potential customers, and making sure headings and titles are easily digestible. It’s also important to showcase the reasons why a customer would buy from you, what sets your brand apart from competitors in your industry.
To help develop relevant keywords:
- List all the products and services your business offers
- Assign common words and phrases to each product or service
- Use common words and phrases in the content on your website
- Check the effectiveness of the keywords using Google’s Keyword Planner
- Use online keyword research tools to find new keywords (some are free).
Make Your Website Easy to SearchCreating content that answers questions, offers great advice, and provides helpful tools can make your website more valuable to both your customers and search engines. Providing valuable content helps engage and retain readers, builds trust and credibility for your business, enhances brand awareness, and helps to drive qualified traffic to your website. Search engines prioritize valuable and relevant content in their rankings, and when you consistently provide high-quality content, it can improve your SEO efforts.
Examples of content ideas that could help your efforts:
- Industry research
- Articles or case studies
- Thought leadership blogs related to your business, customers, or industry
- Testimonials from satisfied customers
Build a Social Media PresenceSocial media is another channel you can leverage to help drive new and existing customers to your website. By creating a profile, uploading relevant and engaging content, and managing your social media presence accordingly, these platforms can become a valuable tool to build brand awareness and drive potential customers to your website to make a purchase.
Once you’ve established a profile, focus on building your followers and engaging with customers by:
- Posting relevant insights inside customer communities (such as Facebook groups)
- Answering any customer concerns
- Sharing engaging content about your business, products, suppliers or staff
- Using the paid media functionality to help reach your target audience
- Optimizing your posts by discussing recent events and issues
- Reposting and engaging with content from thought leaders and industry influencers
Optimize Your Site for Mobile UsersWhile having a site that works well on mobile devices won’t necessarily drive traffic to your site, it can impact the amount of time people who land on your website decide to spend there. Mobile accessibility and having a responsive website which can automatically display your content and information in a way that is easy to read and navigate is fundamental – particularly if you’re an ecommerce business. If you’re unsure, take Google’s test to see how your site ranks for mobile users; this can help you understand what you need to do to make your site more mobile friendly.
Build Your Brand’s ImageIn a competitive marketplace, a strong brand image helps your business stand out from the competition. It creates a distinct identity that sets you apart and gives consumers a reason to choose your products or services over others. A positive and unique brand image helps you differentiate yourself, highlighting your value proposition and making it easier for consumers to recognize and remember your brand.
Some examples of how you could build brand awareness include:
- Participating in trade shows or exhibitions (physical and virtual)
- Speaking and networking at events
- Volunteering at community events
- Replying inside online communities or forums
- Collaborating with other businesses
For many small businesses, online traffic is the beginning of the purchase experience for customers. Respond to your traffic with compelling calls to action and tangible next steps to call, visit, and interact with your business.