Beware of Fraudulent Callers Posing as SouthState Bank
How the Scam Works
- A customer receives a call from a fraudster claiming to be from the SouthState Bank’s “Fraud Department”.
- The fraudster “spoofs” the phone number to make it look like it is coming from SouthState Bank, N.A. Customer Care phone Number, 1-800-277-2175.
- The purpose for the call is to alert the customer of fraudulent transactions on their debit card. The transactions do not exist.
- The fraudster provides the last 4 digits of the card number and notifies the customer of a refund for the false transactions.
- The fraudster enters the customer’s username into online banking and selects “Forgot Password”.
- A “Forgot Password” Secure Access Code (SAC) is sent to the customer.
- The fraudster asks for the code and the customer provides it, thus giving the fraudster access to the customer’s online banking.
- The fraudster initiates Zelle payments prompting the customer to receive an SMS message to authorize payment.
- The customer replies YES to authorize the Zelle transaction and the funds are debited from the customer’s account.
Do Not Provide Your InformationWhile you may NOT have been targeted in this scam, now is a good time for us to remind all our customers to never provide this information. SouthState Bank will NEVER contact a customer to request sensitive information such as PINs, passwords, security codes, account numbers, a username, personal or account information.
If you believe you were a victim of this scam and provided any information over the phone, please contact our Call Center immediately at 1-800-277-2175.