Getting Married Financial Checklist
When planning for your upcoming wedding, we’re sure you already have your calendar full of to-dos and checklists a mile long to complete for your big day.
After the “I dos” are said and the cake is cut, we have one more checklist you and your spouse should complete as you plan your future together.
Marriage is an important step in anyone’s life and brings many challenges with it. One of those challenges is the management of your finances as a couple. The money decisions you make now as a couple can have a lasting impact on your financial future together. Careful planning of your finances can ensure that together, you achieve financial success.
Use the checklist below to start the conversation with your spouse about getting your financial life in order as a newlywed couple:
- Determine your financial goals – both short and long term – as a couple. This is key to creating a plan for paying off debt, purchasing a new home, planning for a family, etc.
- Assess your financial situation including your income, expenses, assets and liabilities.
- Outline your different spending habits and determine how you will manage your day-to-day finances.
- Establish a budget.
- Who will manage the finances?
- Will you keep separate accounts or open joint accounts?
- Are there any credit history concerns?
- Do you own your own home?
- If not, will you continue to rent or are you planning to purchase a home soon?
- Discuss your individual career goals and determine if one or both of you will need additional education or if there is a chance of relocation in the future.
Planning for the future
- Do either of you have current investments?
- Have either of you started planning for retirement?
- Have you updated your beneficiary designations?
- Is there a will? If so, will changes be made to the will?